House flies may not send you running around and screaming wildly. But even though they’re not as scary as cockroaches, they are just as harmful and dangerous.
These insects, which measure 6 mm in length, and come in gray shades with four black stripes on the mid region of the body, are a big nuisance inside the home.
Infestations are common in summer, fall and spring. They are active during the day and take it slow at night. They typically hibernate during winter and come out once they feel the temperature going up.
Many people complain about these pests. Since house flies feed on garbage, decayed matter, rotting flesh, and even feces, it grosses you out just thinking what kinds of bacteria they carry with them. And with them, comes a myriad of serious and even fatal ailments.
Houseflies can transmit the following diseases which are potentially fatal:
- Intestinal worms
- Typhoid fever
To prevent housefly infestation, be sure to follow these measures:
- Take the trash out every night.
- Cover the garbage can inside and near your home.
- Remove any animal excrement in your home and yard.
- Seal cracks and openings.
- Repair torn window and door screens.
- Do not let rotting food accumulate inside your home, not even inside a covered trash bin.
- Don’t overwater the plants.
- Cover all foods.
- Clean your home regularly.
- Cut grass low and keep the yard free of debris and fallen leaves.
Although many people use chemicals to get rid of pests including houseflies, this countermeasure is never a good idea. It would be safer to use natural methods like these herbal repellents enumerated in the link below.
The herbs include basil, bay leaves, lavender, tansy, and pennyroyal. How you can use these herbs to get rid of pesky houseflies are also discussed in this post.