People often confuse garlic chives with regular chives. After all, they look pretty much alike. The only difference between the two is the taste. Garlic chives have stronger flavor, and more pungent smell compared to the standard chives, which are onion.
Like onion chives, garlic chives are also replete with nutritional benefits that you’d want to take advantage of.
- Promotes digestion – Being rich in dietary fiber, garlic chives can aid in digestion and at the same time, prevent constipation, hemorrhoids and indigestion. Chives are also packed with copper, magnesium, potassium and zinc, which are all crucial for smooth digestion.
- Kills bacteria – Like garlic, garlic chives are also antibacterial. They can kill at least 30 salmonella strains.
- Wards off cancer – Garlic chives contain a high amount of antioxidants that can destroy cancer-causing free radicals. These harmful free radicals can cause formation of tumors and cancer cells.
- Boosts heart health – Allicin, a substance known to keep bad cholesterol levels down, can be found in garlic chives. So if you want to keep your cholesterol level in check, it’d be a great idea to include garlic chives in your daily diet.
- Reduces inflammation – The anti-inflammatory properties of garlic chives can benefit people who suffer from conditions like arthritis.
All these amazing health benefits would surely convince you to start growing garlic chives in your garden.